Sunday, November 22, 2009

Run. Drive. Sleep? Repeat. Ragnar Race Florida 2009


Our Ragnar Team- The Blazing Blisters-just ran across Florida. 202 miles in a little over 28 hours! This was an example of when the idea comes to you, it sounds like a good idea ..."yes, definitely, it'll be fun". Then when it approaches or you are in the middle of it...you aren't feeling it so much! Unfortunately, my journey started out not so good after I tried an energy drink for the 1st time. My adrenaline was high before I took it, plus the drink & running during the heat of the afternoon sun made a bad combination for me...awhile after my 1st leg, I felt really nauseated-had palpatations & all around felt like I was not going to make it. Thanks to my teammates who recognized that I was most likely dehydrated...I was able to turn it around. I felt so much better during my 2nd & 3rd legs. Running against traffic in the middle of the night with no sidewalks was a bit unnerving but thankfully Al rode the bike next to me & all was well. We all decided that the running was probably not the hardest part of the race...the temperature changes, no sleeping, planning out the nutrition, not showering...basically all the "outside" elements were what brought the challenges. We brought books etc. to keep us busy, which we did not open... At 5 a.m. some of decided we can check Ragnar off our list & we will not be doing this again...however, after I finished my last leg I instantly thought " I am totally doing this again" Crazy, exhausting, uncomfortable...but in a weird way fun & definitely cool. Loved my teammates & thankful that my family came out to meet us in the end & see us cross the finish line as a group!

No comments: